I’m not a slave to fashion by any means, but I do like to leave the house (usually) feeling somewhat put together. And though I’d never advise doing one’s shopping based solely on the fashion forecasts, those lists can come in handy if you are looking for a few items to freshen things up. Macy’s recently sent out their list of trends for fall and I wondered how easy it would be to find these items in vegan, organic, recycled or generally more sustainable versions. I narrowed my list down to the 10 items that I really wanted to “shop” for, but you can view the entire list here. For those who like to spice up their closets each season, and want to do it cruelty-free, the following items are for you:
1.The Motorcycle Jacket– typically done in leather, but easy enough to find faux. Miss Sixty’s version at Overstock.com is $69.99.
2. The Convertible Bag– it’s a purse, it’s a backpack…you get the idea. I found these Melie Bianco bags at Amazon, for $86.95 and$98.00, but MelieBianco.com has a great selection of very cool bags, several of which are convertible.
4. The Flat Slouch Boot– so many great non-leather boots out there, but these seem to meet the criteria quite nicely in faux suede. $16.99 at amiclubwear.com.
5. The Military Coat– I’ve always been a big Pea Coat fan- warm and practical but always in style…check out Vaute Couture’s awesome take on this classic. $371 or just $298 for the recycled version in black.
6. The Draped Jersey Dress– found a super cute organic cotton version for $87.65 at Equa Clothing-the Owlen dress by People Tree has the requisite draping and then some.
7. The Trench– this organic cotton trench in sesame goes with everything or try a bright hue to keep the winter blues at bay. Patagonia’s Negril trench on sale for $70.00 at patagonia.com.
8. The Wild Berry Lip– my personal favorite so I’m totally behind this pick. Urban Decay does not test on animals and also has a line of vegan lip color. Try Voodoo, Wanted or Confession if you are feeling really daring.
9. The Statement Earring– I guess this depends entirely on what kind of statement you are trying to make and is therefore completely subjective-plenty of fun recycled jewelry online, however. Also, lots of unique pieces to be found at your local vintage and thrift shops. Recycled silver and hematite earrings by This Is It! Creations at sweetorganicsandnaturals.com. $22.00. (added bonus: This Is It! Creations uses biodegradable packaging and donates 5% of sales to animal charities!)
10. The Neck Wrap– always good to have a few of these for those days when the air starts to get chilly, although I’ve seen them worn year-round. (Oh and about that, what is with you DC gals who feel the need to scarf up in the summer? The stifling heat and humidity are not suffocating enough for you???) Anyway, another great thrift or vintage item, but found these lovely, handmade organic cotton scarves at Rubyzaar.com. $40.00